Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Hurry to Hiatus to Hump to Huh??

After a long needed vacation, I am finally ready to settle back into things and get myself on a training schedule. (Thanks to Beth for reminding me it is only now 11 weeks 'til IMLP)

Hurry
I had been anticipating this vacation for months & months, kept wishing it would hurry up and get here, but now looking back the week flew by and the wedding and meeting Nico for the first time seems a lifetime ago... I tried to savor each moment, but alas the week went by too quickly

Hiatus
For nearly 8 weeks leading up to vacation, I had finally gained some ground on my bad eating habits, then vacation hit and I went on hiatus. I tried to make the best choices I could with my schedule being so crazy, but the "bad eater" Joni inside of me kept saying "you're on vacation!" so needless to say my hiatus has turned into a bit of an upward battle and I will need to really reach inside to my will-power to win over old Joni to get back on track

Hump
With the Boston Marathon behind me, I thought my focus would be a smooth transition to IMLP, but I have found myself at a hump. I mean I should be on top of my game, I just ran a qualifying time on the home court what more could a girl ask for? This certainly is a goal I never set for myself b/c it was something that seemed so off the map (especially with my knee acting the way it does now) but vacation came and I ran a couple of times, but the knee was sore again. I then got back from vaca and have been fighting a cold/allergies since. Which made for a shortened training weekend. I am happy to say I climed the Kanc with Beth & Tania, but rather than a 75mi ride, I cut it short to 60mi.

Huh?
This is where I am at today!

Huh? Where did all that time go for training? How is it that I only have x amount of long rides left to do. How will I gain the cycling fitness in time to shave 47 minutes off my bike time from Canada (aggressive goal but that is part of what keeps us coming back for more)

Huh? Janus has called to tell me I have won a slot for any Continental North America IM this year.... can I do 2 IM's in one year?

Huh? why is my knee still aching? It has been 5 MONTHS already! I try really hard to focus back on the positive, but some days it does bug me, I have to be honest here!

Huh?

The GREAT news is that today I did a mid-week ride with Bethie. We had no expectations of our ride and set out to do Mill Rd/Trapelo. After we did some good climbs, we opted for a different route back and just enjoyed the morning. I feel so refreshed now. I feel like this was a big step towards tasting the IM again!! Now I just need to be responsible for myself and keep up the momentum!!

I have a lot of decisions to make over the next couple of weeks, so I am just hoping I can find the drive to continue with my fitness and remember how good I feel today for getting out on the bike and just enjoying a morning ride!!

1 comment:

Beth said...

i had a great ride, too! thanks Joni :)