Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Ash Wednesday

What does wearing my ashes mean to me?

Today is the second time I have received ashes as a new Catholic and as I still learn why things are what they are, I have allowed for some self reflection on what the Lent season means to me.

Today I put aside the stress and worries that I would be late to work. I drove over to my parish in Brookline, St. Mary's of the Assumption http://www.stmarybrookline.com/bulletin.htm for the 7:30am Mass. As always Fr. Jack was wonderful and the Gospel really hit home. It provided time to reflect on acts of kindness that each of us try to do and that we should be careful about "tooting" our own horns when doing so.

I know that I am a true and kind person at heart, but I also know that I am guilty from time to time for doing something for some form of recognition, even if for a simple thank you. We are brought up to say the please and thank you's, but not so much to provide a caring silent action that is something only for your inner self to enjoy.

This Lenten season I am chosing to add something and to subtract something. As I did last year, I am adding a daily reading to my day, preferably in the morning, but this year I am also adding a goal that as I do the little things, I want to check in with myself and ask why I am doing it and to make sure that I am not selfishly expecting anything in return for it.

As for subtracting, well it is time to take away the excessive treats again this year. Now that Ironman training is fast upon me, I want to get re-focused and zone in on the task at hand for July 23rd!!

Eventhough Lent is perceived, at times, to be a dark time at church, it is a time that reminds me of how lucky I am to be on this journey and to be grateful for all that I have in my life.

No comments: